Thread: Hello to my fellow squirrel lovers!

Hello to my fellow squirrel lovers!

It is so great to see all the wonderful information and sharing of squirrel families...I feel very blessed to have had Rocky come in to our little world. What a fun six months...

Rocky's nest was attacked and I found him on my seawall on a very hot Florida summer day, August 29, 2017. He was just about 1.5", all pink, slightly sunburned, dehydrated and very very young. You can see his little fingernails were still white, his ears were still under transparent skin and he barely moved. We did try very hard to get mama to take him back, since his nest was in our Palm tree, but although she wouldn't come close to him, she never really saw him. We tried for three or four days, until she didn't come back. She lost another little one that we found on the second day and something attacked it, scratched it severely and it was unfortunately gone when we got to it. The mama was so distraught about this baby she carried all around so she kept missing Rocky who was right there in a little box. He is a joy and a blessing as I lost my 15 year cat, Gator, on October 2nd (just a few weeks after finding Rocky) to kidney failure. Gator died on the exact same day as the day we brought him home when he was a baby...Rocky sure has helped me move through that pain, although Gator is never forgotten. Rocky has two furry canine siblings, but we don't mix them together. I think its better for Rocky to see them and know they are there but we don't allow contact. They are all good and seem to respect their spaces. We like to think that Rocky has a kingdom and not a cage...although he does have a cage. He is out for at least two hours a day, broken up, for play time with mama and we both look forward to it. We have our daily route every morning, afternoon and evening. He stays with me in my office, I work from home and we have a good time. I can't imagine life without the little guy...I'm sure you all feel the same about your babies.

One thing I noticed that was very special about squirrel life is, he never just jumps to his food to eat (not speaking about nuts here ). Every morning, he greets me hello with jumps, snuggles and runs up and down for about ten minutes before he eats. He sees the food, but always says hello to me first.. I find that very interesting and so sweet. Looking forward to meeting you all as we journey our squirrel life and "Thanks for letting us in the nest!"
    Attached Images Attached Images

So glad you joined our nest too
    Rocky I just want to kiss that face
    So sorry to hear about your kitty Gator another angel at the Rainbow bridge looking over you till you meet once again
    For details on the Squirrel Nation Celebration 2019 click on link below
    https://squirrel-nation.com/showthre...n-2019-Details

My Babies at the Rainbow Bridge
    "The Charley Chuckles chronicles" my son 8-14-2004/3-7-2013 grey squirrel thread
    "Simon my miracle" my adopted son 7-21-2010/3-7-2014 grey squirrel thread
    "Little Girl special squirrel" 8-30-2011/5-5-2017 grey squirrel thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Conkie Donkie Dempsey" :-) my boy grey squirrel thread
    "Pumpkin Sunshine" my girl FOX squirrel thread

I'm not poof reading any of this

charleychuckles1@gmail.com
    ABBY

Welcome!! Rocky is precious!!

Reading about Momma made my heart hurt. I always love getting a baby to raise but it always hurts my heart knowing what they lost and how that Momma must be feeling! They love their babies so much. I always tell my babies that I know I wasn't their first Momma but I am a Momma that will love them. Rocky is very lucky to have landed in such a wonderful home with a new Momma that loves him so much.

Welcome Welcome Rocky's Mom and the super cute Rocky.
    I'm very sorry about your Gator (guessing there's a story behind that name). I always say that all fur kids leave paw prints on your heart. Some leave very deep paw prints that stay indented forever. They just grab our hearts and that's it.
    How lovely that Gator sent you another baby to look after.
    I too got a bit emotional reading about Rocky's squirrel mom. Poor thing
    What a sweetheart Rocky sounds like to greet you first. Maybe he's filling his heart before his tummy? What a joyful way to start your day with squirrel kisses
    I look forward to hearing more stories

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    So glad you joined our nest too
    Rocky I just want to kiss that face
    So sorry to hear about your kitty Gator another angel at the Rainbow bridge looking over you till you meet once again
    Aww thank you for the warm welcome....So sorry I had such big pictures. I tried for an hour to get them to icon size or thumb nail...but it wouldn't work, so I gave up. I love seeing all the great photos and videos of the squirrel families...so much fun...Just brightens my day.

Bought Rocky a little new toy and he is just swinging away with it and banging the bell. Speaking about "Bells"...I put a ball with a bell in his cage since he was about six weeks old...he loved it and banged it all the time. I used to come running in to see what was going on and make sure he was okay....HE LEARNED (so did I apparently) that when HE rang the bell, Mama comes a runnin'.....that was not my intent but I learned it well; trained by my squirrel :)

Quote Originally Posted by GreyluvR View Post
    Welcome!! Rocky is precious!!
    Thank you, GreyluvR

Quote Originally Posted by jlee View Post

Reading about Momma made my heart hurt. I always love getting a baby to raise but it always hurts my heart knowing what they lost and how that Momma must be feeling! They love their babies so much. I always tell my babies that I know I wasn't their first Momma but I am a Momma that will love them. Rocky is very lucky to have landed in such a wonderful home with a new Momma that loves him so much.
    Thank you, Jlee...I completely agree....I did share that with Rocky too...she really must have loved them, she was so upset...poor little girl and poor other little baby. As a mama I so relate ....I think it is why I strive to make him so happy, which really comes easily ....I can't believe how many times I have to take him out of the cage and play with him....it can be hard to get my work done....I just tell him, Mama has to go back to work so I can buy his special treats... :)

Quote Originally Posted by PennyCash View Post
    Welcome Welcome Rocky's Mom and the super cute Rocky.
    I'm very sorry about your Gator (guessing there's a story behind that name). I always say that all fur kids leave paw prints on your heart. Some leave very deep paw prints that stay indented forever. They just grab our hearts and that's it.
    How lovely that Gator sent you another baby to look after.
    I too got a bit emotional reading about Rocky's squirrel mom. Poor thing
    What a sweetheart Rocky sounds like to greet you first. Maybe he's filling his heart before his tummy? What a joyful way to start your day with squirrel kisses
    I look forward to hearing more stories
    Thank you, PennyCash... It is amazing the "pull" this little guy has on my heart...I think I drive my family "nuts"...Rocky, Rocky Rocky...probably because he is just so sweet and was and is so very innocent in this world. I just want to make his life special and happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky's Mama View Post
    Thank you, PennyCash... It is amazing the "pull" this little guy has on my heart...I think I drive my family "nuts"...Rocky, Rocky Rocky...probably because he is just so sweet and was and is so very innocent in this world. I just want to make his life special and happy.
    Just so you know this obsession hasn't dwindled in over 5 yrs for me. I would talk squirrel all day, every day if it didn't make my family go glassy eyed with that "here we go again look".
    Honestly, I've had just about every species of creature that was local in my life and NOTHING comes close to squirrel magic. I'm sooo but I love it

Yep I too am 24/7 squirrel talk....funny story I went March 7th to my foot doc now mind you I hadn't been there in 8 years. So what's the first thing they ask me...."how is charley Chuckles?"
    I had to tell them it was exactly 5 years to the day he went to the bridge. However I did tell them I still have a boy and have raised released many
    For details on the Squirrel Nation Celebration 2019 click on link below
    https://squirrel-nation.com/showthre...n-2019-Details

My Babies at the Rainbow Bridge
    "The Charley Chuckles chronicles" my son 8-14-2004/3-7-2013 grey squirrel thread
    "Simon my miracle" my adopted son 7-21-2010/3-7-2014 grey squirrel thread
    "Little Girl special squirrel" 8-30-2011/5-5-2017 grey squirrel thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Conkie Donkie Dempsey" :-) my boy grey squirrel thread
    "Pumpkin Sunshine" my girl FOX squirrel thread

I'm not poof reading any of this

charleychuckles1@gmail.com
    ABBY

Thank you for saving this little angel. Welcome