Thread: Meet I Love Lucy Squirrel

Meet I Love Lucy Squirrel

I never planned on rehabbing animals, but we homeschool and our daughter had an interest in rehabbing, and was struggling with her work and so we took a different approach. So we bought all the rehab books we could had a pet shop owner who kept us busy with baby birds and baby mice and then baby bunnies. Than one day we got 5 week old baby squirrels. They did great! Since than we have rescued and released 17 squirrel and thankfully have not lost any of them.

Last summer we go 2 2.5 week old squirrels. Ethel and Lucy. They were doing great but Lucy often had milk come from her nose during feeding no matter size of syringe, and how slow we went and this was in the correct position. Later when their teeth started coming in well, both had malocclusion and Lucy had a cleft pallet. After trimming both their teeth, Ethel's teeth resolved but Lucy's did not. Ethel was able to be released and thrived in the wild, we had to keep Lucy and thus our journey as a squirrel owner began. We love her but she is often a hot mess!

You can keep up with her on her Instagram http://instagram.com/ilovelucy_squirrel or see her Dodo Video https://www.thedodo.com/lucy-the-res...333278211.html

Thank you so much for this board. Rescuing is easier than raising and brings so many new tags that you don't think about until you are forced to do it 😂

Welcome to SN

I love the name...I had four babies, 2 girls and 2 boys so they were Lucy, Ricky, Ethel and Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by kkatt5 View Post
    Welcome to SN

I love the name...I had four babies, 2 girls and 2 boys so they were Lucy, Ricky, Ethel and Fred.
    Haha. We have a little Ricky who is now released Lol Thank you for the warm welcome

to Squirrel Nation! You are a great rehabber, 17 released and never lost one I know we can learn a lot from you
    Did Lucy's teeth have to be removed? Love to hear more about her.
    Glad you found us
    My Babies at the Rainbow Bridge
    "The Charley Chuckles chronicles" my son 8-14-2004/3-7-2013 grey squirrel thread
    "Simon my miracle" my adopted son 7-21-2010/3-7-2014 grey squirrel thread
    "Little Girl special squirrel" 8-30-2011/5-5-2017 grey squirrel thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Conkie Donkie Dempsey" :-) my boy grey squirrel thread
    "Pumpkin Sunshine" my girl FOX squirrel thread

I'm not poof reading any of this

charleychuckles1@gmail.com
    ABBY

Welcome to Squirrel Nation glad you joined us.
    I can't wait to hear more about Lucy and love hearing about the rescues and releases.
    “When I look into the eyes of an animal I do not see an animal. I see a living being. I see a friend. I feel a soul.” ~ Anthony William -

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    to Squirrel Nation! You are a great rehabber, 17 released and never lost one I know we can learn a lot from you
    Did Lucy's teeth have to be removed? Love to hear more about her.
    Glad you found us

Thank you. I am not sure what I can teach you lol. While we have had luck with squirrels and I mean that, I think we had pretty healthy babies and we have never had day old pinkies, we have had many babies die. I am still learning a ton and raising a squirrel has its challenges that I am learning as well. But you learn more from your mistakes, than you your successes. Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by JSquirrelly View Post
    Welcome to Squirrel Nation glad you joined us.
    I can't wait to hear more about Lucy and love hearing about the rescues and releases.
    Thank you so much!

Welcome to Squirrel Nation. What a doll Lucy appears to be. I look forward to learning more