Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Story of Miss Click, and those that followed

The Story of Miss Click, and those that followed

Hi, All!

I see some familiar names out there. HRT4SQRLS, PennyCash, Chickenlegs, Stosh, and Darklies, just to name a few. I was referred to this site by Mel1959, who mentioned the May gathering and encouraged me to join and attend! It's on our calendar, and we're looking forward to meeting everyone.

I became one of you (nuts) last July, when my son found a strange hairless creature lying in the back yard. It was a week old (+-) girl pinkie. I dinked around online enough to find out to keep it warm and hydrate it with pedialyte, but I didn't have a good syringe and within a few days, she was clicking with AP (thus the name that stuck: Miss Click). That's when the dinking became serious research, and I found my way to another forum and got through it (oh, the mistakes I'd already made).
    August 12-3.jpg
    About a month later, a guy who'd been trimming the trees next door brought me an intact drey of four babies just a few days after he'd finished in my neighborhood. I'd been over to check that he wasn't leaving any babies in harm's way, and he said he tries never to do that. But a few days later, when he chopped down this nest of four, he remembered me and brought them to me. He drove from another town in the pouring rain, which warmed my heart. I was terrified, but my husband offered to help, so I decided to go for it. All the while, the people of TSB were monitoring, advising. I never would've made it on my own.
    The Little Rascals Aug6-1.jpg
    About the time we were ready to release The Fab 4 - who were total hellions and completely trashed my home - a cat that had been hanging out in my back yard brought me two more screaming babies, identical males. It was surreal! We were standing in the dining room, discussing release (sweet relief!) and at that exact moment, heard that distinctive high pitched squeal coming from the back patio. We were STUNNED. In all our lives, neither of us had ever encountered a fallen baby squirrel. Now we'd had seven come to us over the course of one summer. Actually, at this point, it's NINE. A cousin gave me another pinkie girl, which I immediately re-homed, and just last month, my sister-in-law gave me a furred male which I also re-homed. You all told me that once "the universe" found out about me, they would come, they would somehow just find their way to me. And they sure did!!!
    Twins playing piggy back 11-5-16.jpg
    I am happy to report that all seven have been released in my lovely back yard, which is full of tall oaks and pretty secluded. The trees in my yard touch the trees in the neighbors' yards, and there is a line of about five houses with thick, old trees where they all live now. At this point, we have lost track of The Fab 4. They are probably still right out my back door, but they don't interact with us. Click built a nest right over the RC and has a baby of her own now. She doesn't interact closely, but she keeps her eye on us, doesn't mind if we get close. The Twins (the last two) are living in the nest box we gave them, and when it's cold, they still get in their cube in the RC. They come daily for boo balls and butternut squash, which I cook because they like it better soft. I see that they are growing more and more distant with each passing day, but they have been the most bonded with us, have stuck around and interacted the longest.

It's been amazing to meet all these people who love squirrels with such devotion. You go to great lengths and expense for these little guys. You turn yourselves inside out to accommodate and assist. I am endlessly surprised by the helpful spirit of all of you and how loving and supportive you all are. Which is important, because you sure don't get any love from the mainstream public! People think it's peculiar or outright weird, and I've found that even my close family, who know what lengths I myself have gone to, are completely unsupportive and negative ("Just let those damn squirrels go!") So Thank You to everyone! I've appreciated the kinship and fellowship.

I am currently without squirrels. It may sound crazy to you, but I needed a break! Maybe I'm too new to it, maybe it was too much, too soon, but I am so happy to be squirrel-less. For the moment. There is no doubt in my mind that I will have squirrels again. Hopefully, before that happens, I will have time to dedicate a room in my little house, so that my life isn't entirely turned upside down. We have an exceptionally tiny house, and they were all raised right in my little living room - which I DO NOT want to do again. But now we have the tools, the experience, we know what to expect, so when another one comes our way, we will be better equipped. At this time, all the lengths of fleece are washed, folded, and stacked; the cage is clean and empty; the heating pad is in the nursery bin with the sock buddies and diaper liners, the syringes are thoroughly washed and dried and in a ziploc bag, and I am out of the squirrel business. For the time being. Stay tuned!

to Squirrel Nation!! So glad you joined us and what a wonderful story about your babies.

Yep, you are now officially one of the Nut's, bitten by squirrel love! I totally understand being a newbie at this, my first year they just kept coming...next thing I knew I had 14 babies and two NR's ! Sleepless nights and tons of laundry, syringes and jars to clean everyday! What was I thinking but I just couldn't say NO! That was in 2012, last year I said I was going to take the year off..., that didn't happen either . The fall babies started coming in and I acquired 8 total, not bad considering 2015 I had 40 over the coarse of the year. I truly understand when you say you need a break!!
    I tried it again this year.. ..first one, then two..up to 5 now. I have to say I love it and if not for my squirrel friends and my hubby, this would be very hard to do.

Can't wait to meet you at the Celebration in May!! We always have a wonderful time with lots of babies to love on and squirrel peeps to share with.

Happy St. Paddy's Day!!
    “When I look into the eyes of an animal I do not see an animal. I see a living being. I see a friend. I feel a soul.” ~ Anthony William -

Welcome!

Love your story on how you started loving on these beautiful furry tail babies. You are a special person to take the time to love and care for one of God's creatures. Thank you so much for doing so.

Cannot wait to meet you at the Celebration. I received my first NR (non-release) last year at the Celebration and he (Marshall) and I bonded right away. He was my furry love boy. Marshall now has been re-homed to the Rainbow Bridge where he can run and play without seizures. I miss him dearly.

I will be bringing my little girl BellaBoo who is a NR...she was sent I believe from Marshall's spirit to me a week after he passed. She is blind in her left eye and I think she can see shadows in her right. She is a sweetie. I hope to see you there and do come meet BellaBoo.

Welcome, so glad you are here.

Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to meeting you at The Gathering.

Quote Originally Posted by kkatt5 View Post
    Welcome!

Love your story on how you started loving on these beautiful furry tail babies. You are a special person to take the time to love and care for one of God's creatures. Thank you so much for doing so.

Cannot wait to meet you at the Celebration. I received my first NR (non-release) last year at the Celebration and he (Marshall) and I bonded right away. He was my furry love boy. Marshall now has been re-homed to the Rainbow Bridge where he can run and play without seizures. I miss him dearly.

I will be bringing my little girl BellaBoo who is a NR...she was sent I believe from Marshall's spirit to me a week after he passed. She is blind in her left eye and I think she can see shadows in her right. She is a sweetie. I hope to see you there and do come meet BellaBoo.

Welcome, so glad you are here.

I am so heartbroken to read about Marshall. I hope I never have a NR. I can't even hold it together when I READ ABOUT them being sick or dying. BellaBoo is so fortunate to have found her way to you.

Quote Originally Posted by JSquirrelly View Post
    to Squirrel Nation!! So glad you joined us and what a wonderful story about your babies.

Yep, you are now officially one of the Nut's, bitten by squirrel love! I totally understand being a newbie at this, my first year they just kept coming...next thing I knew I had 14 babies and two NR's ! Sleepless nights and tons of laundry, syringes and jars to clean everyday! What was I thinking but I just couldn't say NO! That was in 2012, last year I said I was going to take the year off..., that didn't happen either . The fall babies started coming in and I acquired 8 total, not bad considering 2015 I had 40 over the coarse of the year. I truly understand when you say you need a break!!
    I tried it again this year.. ..first one, then two..up to 5 now. I have to say I love it and if not for my squirrel friends and my hubby, this would be very hard to do.

Can't wait to meet you at the Celebration in May!! We always have a wonderful time with lots of babies to love on and squirrel peeps to share with.

Happy St. Paddy's Day!!

I can't even IMAGINE the scenario you just described. Having five was so difficult, so exhausting and hectic. So far, I've sidestepped getting any more this year, but should the situation arise where I can't find anyone else (some other sucker - LOL), then I'm up, and will take the best care I know how. I love the little rascals, and when that last one came my way, I was tempted, but I knew I really needed a break and taking it would not be the best thing. I had a really difficult year last year (so glad 2016 is OVER), and am hoping for better times this year. We have some (kinda) major work to do on the house in order to make this "dedicated room" happen, but if we can accomplish that before we get any more squirrels, it will make things so much better. Every surface of my living room and dining room had to be covered with fleece throws and towels, and it was like closing the barn door after the horse has escaped, a lot of damage was already done. But it prevented a lot more from happening. However, it also made my house look awful. All decorative items were removed, lamps were draped and wrapped with fleece ... I didn't want company to come in. I don't want to go back to that.

I'm looking forward to meeting you and all the other nuts.

Well I'm Terri that is a wonderful sorry and soo glad u are here can't wait to meet u..soo see you in may...😊
    Laura

Terri, I so loved your story of Miss Click, the Fab-4 and the Twins. You are now and forever apart of the nutty family of pure squirrel love. I'm Harley's mom and he was my first NR and he and Faith will be with me at the celebration. I have 4 NR's but two of them are not real happy with traveling. I look forward to meeting you at the celebration. I have been trying to take a break for two years now but so far no luck but I just can't say "No"
    You babies are all beautiful, great job.

Terri

To Squirrel Nation

Yep, I'm here too. I am thrilled that you're coming to the Celebration. We 'almost' met last year. You met Tom. He and PeeWees mom will be there also. I look forward to finally meeting you.

I bet you are thrilled about Miss Click. I have a release named Susie that lives in and near my yard. She will be 4 years old soon. She had 2 babies this past year and I was SO happy. She still visits me. Like Miss Click she won't let me touch her but she does get on my shoulder for treats. She taught me real quick that being on my shoulder doesn't give me permission to touch her but I still love her.

I'm glad you were finally able to get the hellions out of your house. I know you have lasting memories of them as you see their damage. The really tough ones are the fall babies that need overwintering. The spring babies can go to the release cage shortly after weaning if need be. I finished raising some in the release cage during a summer. It sure saves your house.

I hope you get the break that you need. Can't wait to meet you!

Terri, Oh my word how wonderful to see you here! I'm going to meet you in May as well Looking forward to it and loved seeing the updates on the kiddo's
    Off to bed for me as we've got a long drive tomorrow but how exciting that you were directed to the nation.

Welcome to Squirrel Nation. You will love this forum.

So excited you are attending the Celebration. You will absolutely love meeting everyone, plus learning so much in the meeting. Get ready to have FUN!!!!

Terri I am glad you found us and look forward to many more of your squirrel adventures They say when it rains it pours, they ain't kidding when it comes to raining squirrels once the universe finds you and you find squirrel love, well there's just no going back

My adventure started August 2004 when hurricane Charley delivered the love of my life Charley Chuckles, we spent the most amazing 8.5 years together till he had to go to the Rainbow Bridge where he and I will reunite again one day since CC I had a NR angle sent to me. Simon's time was short but so loving and he joined my CC. I do now have my Little Girl who is 5 and my Conker boy who is 6.
    Just had some releases and they still come to me daily. YES welcome to nutsville

I am so glad your coming to the Celebration Will you be staying over? I hope you can We have great parties
    For details on the Squirrel Nation Celebration 2019 click on link below
    https://squirrel-nation.com/showthre...n-2019-Details

My Babies at the Rainbow Bridge
    "The Charley Chuckles chronicles" my son 8-14-2004/3-7-2013 grey squirrel thread
    "Simon my miracle" my adopted son 7-21-2010/3-7-2014 grey squirrel thread
    "Little Girl special squirrel" 8-30-2011/5-5-2017 grey squirrel thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Conkie Donkie Dempsey" :-) my boy grey squirrel thread
    "Pumpkin Sunshine" my girl FOX squirrel thread

I'm not poof reading any of this

charleychuckles1@gmail.com
    ABBY

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Terri

To Squirrel Nation

Yep, I'm here too. I am thrilled that you're coming to the Celebration. We 'almost' met last year. You met Tom. He and PeeWees mom will be there also. I look forward to finally meeting you.

I bet you are thrilled about Miss Click. I have a release named Susie that lives in and near my yard. She will be 4 years old soon. She had 2 babies this past year and I was SO happy. She still visits me. Like Miss Click she won't let me touch her but she does get on my shoulder for treats. She taught me real quick that being on my shoulder doesn't give me permission to touch her but I still love her.

I'm glad you were finally able to get the hellions out of your house. I know you have lasting memories of them as you see their damage. The really tough ones are the fall babies that need overwintering. The spring babies can go to the release cage shortly after weaning if need be. I finished raising some in the release cage during a summer. It sure saves your house.

I hope you get the break that you need. Can't wait to meet you!

I'm looking forward to finally meeting you, too!

I wish Click would get on my shoulder! None of ours get that close -- except the last two (for now, anyway), but only to take food from our hands (at least they do that!). Snuffy will wrap his paws around my fingers when I feed him boo balls, so I have to be content with that. He's the one that got SO aggressive right before release that I became afraid of him. But now that he's loose, he's calmed down. Click peeks around the tree at me all the time. She has almost come right up to me several times, but at the last minute, she chickens out and bolts the other direction. She cracks me up the way she peeeeeeeks around at me, stretching her neck as far as it will go.

We live within driving distance of The Gathering, so we will drive back and forth rather than stay. I have a teenager at home. Need I say more?

Excited to Meet You All!

Thanks everyone for the welcoming words. I love reading your posts and your stories. I'm looking forward to The Gathering.

Since you live close maybe you can stay after for awhile for our pizza party either way looking forward to meeting you at our:
    SQUIRREL NATION CELEBRATION 2017
    For details on the Squirrel Nation Celebration 2019 click on link below
    https://squirrel-nation.com/showthre...n-2019-Details

My Babies at the Rainbow Bridge
    "The Charley Chuckles chronicles" my son 8-14-2004/3-7-2013 grey squirrel thread
    "Simon my miracle" my adopted son 7-21-2010/3-7-2014 grey squirrel thread
    "Little Girl special squirrel" 8-30-2011/5-5-2017 grey squirrel thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Conkie Donkie Dempsey" :-) my boy grey squirrel thread
    "Pumpkin Sunshine" my girl FOX squirrel thread

I'm not poof reading any of this

charleychuckles1@gmail.com
    ABBY