Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joey a dwarf squirrel

Joey a dwarf squirrel

Hi All, this is my story. I raised and released 2 sets of squirrels several years ago, so I have a pretty good idea of what to do. With that being said, I happened upon a squirrel that the owner of a plant nursery was raising. He was a tiny little guy, but furred and had his eyes open. The man had some baby kittens he was also raising so was feeding them all KMR. I told him that wasn't the best thing for the squirrel and left. I went back about a week later and the little guy didn't look good. I told him I would get Esbilac for him. I left to purchase the formula and my daughter and I decided to convince him to let us have the squirrel for the weekend and feed him the Esbilac. He reluctantly agreed. This was a Friday. By Monday, when he was to be returned, I heard him clicking. I took him to the vet and he was put on Baytril. I informed the man that I wouldn't return him till he was well and that was the last contact I had with him. I ordered Fox Valley and continued to care for this little guy, but he just didn't seem to be growing like I remembered my other squirrels growing. I took hi to a local vet that rehabs squirrels and her comment was "he was different" but couldn't tell me why. I finally found an online forum and started asking questions and posted pictures. That's how I discovered my little munchkin was a dwarf squirrel. He came complete with all the trials and tribulations that dwarfs are known for....doesn't eat well, doesn't drink well, sweet as can be! I also discovered Dr. E from that forum and have had my little guy to her for evaluation, as well as most recently for an intestinal infection. She's amazing!

Because a friend of mine knew I had Joey, when she found a baby squirrel in her laundry room that her cat brought in, she called me. Welcome Peepers. The next day I went over to her house and found his brother...welcome Nibbles. These two guys have been with me since Feb 23 and are doing great. They are going to go to Dr. E's for release soon. My husband and I have grown quite attached, but know that their life is in the trees. It will be a very sad day when we have to say "goodbye". That's my story, thank you for listening.

Mel I am so glad to hear your story. I have been going to Dr. E since 2008 she is fantastic
    Dr. E must have told you about her dwarf Shorty I got to meet Shorty. I know Dr. E loved her little girl. I will put up a pic of Dr. E and Shorty
    I am so happy you joined us And can't wait to hear more about your Joey and see a pic of him

Here is Shorty

photo(62) (Small) (2).JPG
    For details on the Squirrel Nation Celebration 2019 click on link below
    https://squirrel-nation.com/showthre...n-2019-Details

My Babies at the Rainbow Bridge
    "The Charley Chuckles chronicles" my son 8-14-2004/3-7-2013 grey squirrel thread
    "Simon my miracle" my adopted son 7-21-2010/3-7-2014 grey squirrel thread
    "Little Girl special squirrel" 8-30-2011/5-5-2017 grey squirrel thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Conkie Donkie Dempsey" :-) my boy grey squirrel thread
    "Pumpkin Sunshine" my girl FOX squirrel thread

I'm not poof reading any of this

charleychuckles1@gmail.com
    ABBY

Mel! So nice to see you and Joey here!!

An array of findings customized for you!

Wonderful story
    I don't kiss my squirrels, I'm just tasting them.

Just tickles me that these dwarf babies always look grumpy! They're NOT--they're the absolute sweetest little guys EVER--but they sure look grumpy!

I loved SHorty!

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Mel I am so glad to hear your story. I have been going to Dr. E since 2008 she is fantastic
    Dr. E must have told you about her dwarf Shorty I got to meet Shorty. I know Dr. E loved her little girl. I will put up a pic of Dr. E and Shorty
    I am so happy you joined us And can't wait to hear more about your Joey and see a pic of him

Here is Shorty

Charley Chuckles I bet you and I have crossed paths at docs office at some point. I used to love on and feed Shorty everytime I went in. Such a love muffin. I know doc was devestated when Shorty went to the bridge. She totally loves downs squirrels.

So nice to meet you and Joey at the Celebration today. Love that sweet boy!

Was so lucky to have met this little precious baby, and his mom and dad. Awesome people!

Little stinker was so nice and lovey the first couple of times I got to hold him. But last night he bite the fire out finger and held on. didn't break the skin but I handed back to his mom I think he was sleeping and just did not want to be disturded

Amazing first time to actually see a dwarf squirrel. They are adorable!

Such a treat to have met ya'll! Joey is the cutest Lil bean.

Celebration 2016!

It was great to finally meet everyone! My husband and I had a wonderful time and really enjoyed everyone's company. It was nice to feel so welcome. What an amazing group of people! I loved getting to meet everyone's furry babies too! I look forward to talking to everyone and REALLY look forward to next years celebration!

It was great meeting you and your family Mel1959 and what a treat to meet Little Joey!! what a doll baby, he is the first dwarf I've ever met and fell head over heels in love with him. We look forward to next year also and if it were up to Pee Wee's Mom we'd have one every month..
    Kiss that sweet boy for me....
    “When I look into the eyes of an animal I do not see an animal. I see a living being. I see a friend. I feel a soul.” ~ Anthony William -

Joey's fan club is growing. What a sweet boy! Did I hear he bites? NOT Joey!

so exciting to see and meet Joey and his mommy and daddy. Was nice to have had a chat with you.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Joey's fan club is growing. What a sweet boy! Did I hear he bites? NOT Joey!
    Yes he does! And held on for just a second also. But I still love him! he is the cutest thing. He did let me love allover him before so maybe I just startled him while was sleeping. Yeah that was it.

It was so WONDERFUL meeting you all and sweet Joey What a sweet boy he is
    Had a blast you all were so much fun
    Look forward to more Joey stories
    JOEY

IMG_0762 (Small).JPG
    For details on the Squirrel Nation Celebration 2019 click on link below
    https://squirrel-nation.com/showthre...n-2019-Details

My Babies at the Rainbow Bridge
    "The Charley Chuckles chronicles" my son 8-14-2004/3-7-2013 grey squirrel thread
    "Simon my miracle" my adopted son 7-21-2010/3-7-2014 grey squirrel thread
    "Little Girl special squirrel" 8-30-2011/5-5-2017 grey squirrel thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Conkie Donkie Dempsey" :-) my boy grey squirrel thread
    "Pumpkin Sunshine" my girl FOX squirrel thread

I'm not poof reading any of this

charleychuckles1@gmail.com
    ABBY