PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone, Nice to meet you.

Turner's Mom
05-06-2014, 08:51 PM
Hi, I have a 11 1/2 week old Eastern Grey named Turner. He was giving to me my a friend's son who had cut down a tree and witnessed him fall out of his nest. The boy didn't know that he could have left him on the ground near the tree and waited for mom to hopefully come and get him. I had taken my son to visit the family for the night and when I arrived I was handed this very 3 week old little ball. The comment was, "Here can you keep him from dying?" I couldn't say no. Long story short, I now have a very happy little man.

He does have is issue though. About three weeks ago I found out that he had a hole in the roof of his mouth. I had taken him to the vet to see how bad his teeth were since I was afraid he may have malocclusion issues. the vet found the while just behind his top teeth. The first attempt to heal it was to trim his teeth and pack the hole with absorbing gauze. after the two week healing process we returned to the vet and found that his teeth were in need of a trim again and that the hole had only slightly gotten smaller. The hole is not huge to begin with, maybe the size of a pin head, but it is enough to cause issues. He had to have a stitch put in to help try and close the hole permanently. We are at week one of the two week healing process and he has started sneezing again. The vet says this is normal, but it is causing concern for me because the sneezing seems to be related to the hole being open. I have also noticed that his teeth are longer that they might should be already given that the vet filed them down too the nerve.

It seems to be looking more and more like he will be an NR. I am saddened by this because I have really wanted nothing more than to have him live a wild life. I have a very friendly squirrel expert here and she has been amazing to Turner and me. She helped us find the vet and this board. we have both been very lucky to have sassysquirrel to mentor me in the very best way to bring up my little guy.

I am happy to have been referred to SN by sassysquirrel and I know that I will learn plenty. :)

PS< I tried to post pics, but the sight says I am not logged in and will not allow me to. :(

Turner's Mom
05-06-2014, 08:55 PM

Ok, meet Turner.

unikorngrrl
05-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Awe!! Hello and :welcome to SN!!! We're very glad to have you and little Turner here. He is a super cute little guy!! (Like you didn't already know that right?!?) Don't give up on the Vet and his healing quite yet. Mammals can have many issues like this that can actually heal themselves with age. Even some human babies are born with holes in the tops of their mouths that heal themselves! Though we do try to encourage releasing, your squirrel can still have a very happy life inside! We'll happily help you with ANYTHING that we can WHENEVER we can!! Thank you for saving the little one and giving his care so much time and effort!! and again...WELCOME!!!

Sassysquirrel
05-06-2014, 09:22 PM
Yeah!!!!!! and Thank You for the kind words Turner's Mom.
So sweet. Hopefully little Turner will be able to be released
but if not we will figure something out.

Sweet Simon's Mommy
05-07-2014, 07:53 AM
Hi Turner!!! You know Sassysquirrl ??? You are lucky!! I wouldn't give up yet, his mouth may still health as Uni said.
But it is good to have a plan B in case he can't go ( or won't )

Saverywood
05-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Hello Turner's Mom - I am impresed that you found the hole in his mouth and found his the tooth issues,
plus followed up with the vet and acted so quickly! Wow! Good catch and nice job!

Susan
05-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Mine sneeze when the temperature inside drops below 74. Could this be part of the sneezing? i hope so.

:welcome

Charley Chuckles
05-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Hi, I have a 11 1/2 week old Eastern Grey named Turner. He was giving to me my a friend's son who had cut down a tree and witnessed him fall out of his nest. The boy didn't know that he could have left him on the ground near the tree and waited for mom to hopefully come and get him. I had taken my son to visit the family for the night and when I arrived I was handed this very 3 week old little ball. The comment was, "Here can you keep him from dying?" I couldn't say no. Long story short, I now have a very happy little man.

He does have is issue though. About three weeks ago I found out that he had a hole in the roof of his mouth. I had taken him to the vet to see how bad his teeth were since I was afraid he may have malocclusion issues. the vet found the while just behind his top teeth. The first attempt to heal it was to trim his teeth and pack the hole with absorbing gauze. after the two week healing process we returned to the vet and found that his teeth were in need of a trim again and that the hole had only slightly gotten smaller. The hole is not huge to begin with, maybe the size of a pin head, but it is enough to cause issues. He had to have a stitch put in to help try and close the hole permanently. We are at week one of the two week healing process and he has started sneezing again. The vet says this is normal, but it is causing concern for me because the sneezing seems to be related to the hole being open. I have also noticed that his teeth are longer that they might should be already given that the vet filed them down too the nerve.

It seems to be looking more and more like he will be an NR. I am saddened by this because I have really wanted nothing more than to have him live a wild life. I have a very friendly squirrel expert here and she has been amazing to Turner and me. She helped us find the vet and this board. we have both been very lucky to have sassysquirrel to mentor me in the very best way to bring up my little guy.

I am happy to have been referred to SN by sassysquirrel and I know that I will learn plenty. :)

PS< I tried to post pics, but the sight says I am not logged in and will not allow me to. :(

Hi this is Charley Chuckles Abby, I am new here as well, this is my first post and trying to figure it all out ...good to see you :goodmorning

squirrelmommy22
05-07-2014, 10:36 AM
Hi Turners Mom, I'm so glad he found his way to you, and glad you found SN, there are some great knowledgeable squirrel peeps here!

Turner's Mom
05-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Thank you all so very much for the warm welcome. I am doing all I can to give Turner the best care he can get. I am still hoping for release, we have a follow up next week to see how the healing is going. My prayers are going up and my fingers are crossed that all goes well. Turner go a new food this morning. I was waiting for a prescription to get filled at Walgreens and since I was trapped there i went shopping. I found spinach, pear, pea pureed baby food. it was organic so i said what the heck. I brought it home and he loves it. It won't be a main food but it is a good treat. He actually will turn all food down over his HHBs. He loves loves loves those. he won't even tack a treat over them. I don't give them at lunch so that is when he gets the veggies and whatnots. I am very proud of him for eating his food before his treats.

squirrelmommy22
05-07-2014, 02:28 PM
My. Girl loves her hhb to the only thing she might like more is her yogurt , glad he liked baby veggies,that's probably a real good thing with his teeth issues. Roxanne doesn't care for apples but likes baby applesauce,go figure.

KellyB
05-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Hello Turners Mom !!!!!!

Welcome to SN. We are so happy you found us. Your pictures of Turner are adorable !!!

As the others have said be patient our furry friends have a miraculous way of healing.
I have a male wild that came to us for help. He had to have his top teeth removed. Both sets.
Yes he had two sets of top teeth. One set grew up through the roof of his mouth. He is healed now and the holes have covered over,but my vet told me he may sneeze forever and it means nothing. She has found that many squirrels that have had open areas of the upper mouth have a sneeze issue.
My Buck runs around the house sneezing or making a sneeze like noise all the time.
If Turners mouth heals closed and his teeth are not an issue there is still hope he can enjoy his freedom.

We love pictures and hope you share Turner with us some more.

Turner's Mom
05-08-2014, 08:45 PM
I will post some more pics tomorrow. Maybe i can get a new back drop and better lighting for them. Turner is not big on having his pic taken, he is never still and trying to keep up with that speeder does nothing but give me nice pics of "the blur". lol

unikorngrrl
05-08-2014, 09:44 PM
What, no squirrel sitting and posing politely for you?!? ROFL Usually you gotta trick them. Hand him a fav treat and snap pics REALLY fast!! Look forward to them!!

Susan
05-09-2014, 11:08 AM
:peanutsquee